Wildside Activity Centre
Hordern Road, Whitmore Reans,
Wolverhampton, WV6 0HA
Tel: 01902 572240
Title: Business Development Manager
Salary Scale: NJC scale points 24 -28
Hours of duty: 29.6 hours per week (equivalent to 4 days pw.), including unsociable hours and school holiday periods as applicable. Days and times to be agreed.
Responsible to: The Chair of the Board of Directors or his/her representative.
Location: Wildside Activity Centre and in outreach and partnership work as necessary.
Wildside is a small charity based by the canal in Whitmore Reans, a highly deprived neighbourhood, less than two miles from Wolverhampton City Centre but still close to the Smestow Valley Nature Reserve. All ages, all abilities – we reconnect people with nature. We serve Wolverhampton and South Staffordshire, providing environmental and adventurous activities. Our aim is to get people outdoors: connecting with the natural world, enjoying its beauty, and learning to care for wildlife. We create high quality opportunities for outdoor learning, particularly trying to reach groups suffering deprivation or disability. We operate a narrowboat providing educational and recreational trips for community groups, schools and families.
We are starting on a five-year project funded by the National Lottery to continue the work we have developed under previous Lottery awards with people with additional needs but moreover to generate more business to sustain the Centre into the future. This post is intended to provide the capacity to generate income, apply for grants, support staff and volunteers and continue the programme of activities. By the end of the project, the Centre will have become more sustainable with a lower proportion of income from grants and a higher proportion of income from its activities.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- To drive forward business development and income generation, in keeping with the mission of the organisation.
- To produce an updated Business Plan.
- To increase take up from local businesses for personnel health and wellbeing activities and volunteering.
- To develop the Centre’s links with health related providers and commissioners in order to reach new user groups.
- To develop relevant partnerships to assist business development.
- To raise new funding and sponsorship and ensure the effective delivery of all grants and awards, producing reports as necessary for the National Lottery and other funder.
- To represent and promote Wildside at external events and workshops, as appropriate.
- To research potential new opportunities and business avenues in line with the mission of the Centre.
- To attend Board meetings and report to the Board on current delivery, issues emerging, potential new activities or trading, and progress in business development.
- To lead the team of staff and volunteers in ensuring continuing high standards of delivery and maximising income.
- To manage the Project Organiser (who will lead on the provision for people with disabilities) and other key staff and support key volunteers, agreeing appropriate tasks with them.
- To ensure that all activities are carried out in compliance with the Activity Procedures for Staff, Staff Handbook, the Health & Safety Policy and other agreed policies and procedures as approved by the Board of Directors.
- To present a professional appearance, behaviour and manner at all times and to encourage all users to respect each other and the Centre, its equipment and its surroundings.
- To wear a badge and/or clothing with the Centre logo as appropriate on request, and to carry a mobile phone when on duty.
1. To undertake such other duties as may be deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors from time to time and may be regarded as commensurate with the duties and grade of the post.
2. To be available for supervision or planning meetings by arrangement and be willing to undertake appropriate training as agreed with the Chair.
3. To promote equality of opportunity in all matters of staff management, volunteer development and service delivery.
4. To have due consideration for the health, safety and welfare of yourself, other staff and Centre users both on and off site.
5. To be responsible for opening and securing the Centre when applicable.
Agreed: March 2020